Last Updated on March 6, 2023
National Barbie Day is celebrated on March 9th each year to honor one of the world’s most iconic toys. Barbie, created by Ruth Handler, debuted at the American International Toy Fair in New York City on March 9th, 1959. Since then, Barbie has become a pop culture phenomenon and an inspiration to girls worldwide.
History of National Barbie Day:
National Barbie Day is a celebration of the Barbie doll’s legacy, created by Ruth Handler, co-founder of Mattel, Inc., in 1959. Ruth saw an opportunity to create a three-dimensional doll to inspire girls to imagine their futures and possibilities.
Barbie was very popular when she was first released and has continued to be popular over the years. She has been an astronaut, a doctor, a teacher, and many other professions. She has also inspired other products, such as clothes, accessories, and even a line of movies and television shows.
Why Celebrate National Barbie Day:
National Barbie Day is an opportunity to celebrate the legacy of the Barbie doll, which has had a big impact on generations of young girls. Barbie has been a beloved toy and a symbol of empowerment and inspiration for girls worldwide. She has encouraged girls to dream big, break down barriers, and pursue their passions.
How to Celebrate National Barbie Day:
There are many ways to celebrate National Barbie Day, including:
- Playing with Barbies: Dust off your old Barbies and have fun playing with them. You can use your imagination to create your own stories and adventures.
- Collecting Barbies: If you’re a collector, National Barbie Day is a great excuse to add to your collection. You can check out the latest Barbie releases and find the perfect doll for your collection.
- Creating Barbie-themed crafts: You can make your fun crafts with Barbie dolls that match your favorite outfits, accessories, or even furniture.
- Watching Barbie movies: To celebrate National Barbie Day, you can watch your favorite Barbie movies and TV shows. You can also have a Barbie-themed movie night with your friends.
- Volunteering: National Barbie Day is a special celebration of dolls and play. You can do things to give back to your community on this day, such as volunteering with a local girls’ organization.
Fun Facts about Barbie:
- The first Barbie doll sold for $3.00 in 1959. Today, some rare Barbie dolls can fetch thousands of dollars at auction.
- Barbie has had over 150 careers, including astronaut, doctor, chef, and fashion designer.
- The Barbie Dreamhouse, a toy house for Barbie dolls, has been one of the most popular Barbie accessories since its introduction in 1962.
- Barbie has been controversial over the years, with critics arguing that her unrealistic body proportions promote negative body image and unrealistic beauty standards.
- Barbie has been featured in several movies and television shows, including the animated film “Barbie in the Nutcracker” and the live-action film “Barbie and the Diamond Castle.”
National Barbie Day is a day to celebrate the legacy of one of the world’s most famous toys. Barbie has helped inspire many girls to dream big and break down barriers. We hope that by celebrating National Barbie Day, we can help honor Barbie’s important role in the world and help inspire future generations of girls.