Last Updated on May 25, 2023
National Cancer Survivors Day is celebrated on the first Sunday in June each year to remember and celebrate cancer survivors. This holiday is important to raise awareness of cancer survivors’ challenges and encourage early detection and treatment. Here are some facts about National Cancer Survivors Day, including how it got started and some fun things to do on holiday. By celebrating this day, we can raise awareness and eradicate cancer together.
History of National Cancer Survivors Day
This day was first celebrated in 1987 by the National Cancer Survivors Day Foundation. The Foundation wanted to celebrate cancer survivors and increase awareness about the challenges faced by those who have battled cancer and come out as a survivor. They also wanted to educate people about the importance of early detection and treatment in the fight against cancer.
Related: National Doctors Day
Why Celebrate National Cancer Survivors’ Day?
National Cancer Survivors Day is a day to celebrate the lives of cancer survivors, honor those who have lost their battles, and raise awareness about the challenges faced by those who have battled cancer. It’s also an opportunity to highlight the importance of early detection and treatment in the fight against cancer. Celebrating this day is a must, as it encourages more people to come out and examine themselves.
How to Celebrate National Cancer Survivors Day?
There are many ways to celebrate National Cancer Survivors Day, including:
- Attend an event: National Cancer Survivors Day is a day to celebrate people who have survived cancer. Some cities and towns hold events, like parades and picnics, to celebrate this day. Make sure to participate in such an event and spread the word.
- Donate to cancer research: Giving to cancer research is a way to help fight cancer and help honor cancer survivors.
- Share your story: If you are a survivor or a provider to cancer patients, share your story too and raise awareness.
- Wear a ribbon: Wearing a cancer survivor ribbon shows your support for cancer survivors and helps to raise awareness about the disease.
- Reach out to a cancer survivor: Reach out to cancer survivors and write a message saying, “Take care! I hope you’re doing well! I want you to know that I’m thinking of you, and I hope you have a good day.” etc.
Related: National Nurse Day
Fun Facts About National Cancer Survivors Day
Here are some fun facts about National Cancer Survivors Day:
- The National Cancer Survivors Day Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to improving cancer survivors’ quality of life.
- The foundation was founded in 1986 by a cancer survivor named Richard N. Baum.
- The foundation provides resources and support to cancer survivors, their families, and their caregivers.
- The first National Cancer Survivors Day was celebrated on June 5, 1988.
- The holiday is now celebrated in countries all over the world.
In conclusion, National Cancer Survivors Day is a day to celebrate the lives of people who have survived cancer, raise awareness about their challenges, and recognize the importance of early detection and treatment in the fight against cancer. There are many ways to celebrate National Cancer Survivors Day, from attending events to donating to cancer research to sharing your story with others. So, take the time to celebrate cancer survivors and raise awareness about the fight against cancer. More people should come out and examine themselves to stay healthy and happy.