Every year on October 8, the National depression screening day is observed. It is a very important day to celebrate. Approximately most of the youngsters and adults face this problem. Mental illness is the most common mental issue affected by most people and should never be taken lightly. Mental wellness is as important as physical wellbeing.
History of National Depression Screening Day
Depression is not a new thing, but unfortunately, many people refuse to accept it. Depression screening should be done on time to overcome the consequence.
- To know about the first mental illness recorded, let’s turn back to 1100B.C in China. They overcame this problem using medicinal herbs or acupuncture, or emotional therapy.
- The first person who developed the nomenclature of mental disorders was Emil Kraepelin in 1896. He is also known as the father of mental health. The person who detailed about depression was this German psychiatrist.
- The word ‘depression’ was derived from the Latin word known as ‘to press down.’
How to observe National Depression Screening Day 2022?
Mental wellness should never be ignored; it is important to do timely screening and eradicate the root issue. Here is how you must observe the national depression screening day.
- Consult a psychologist if you undergo any mental stress or pressure.
- If you have undergone treatment from any psychologist, then give them a greeting card or give them a thankyou note to show your appreciation.
- If your loved ones, friends, family members are stressed, talk to them, take care of them. This will prevent them from taking any severe actions and hurt themselves. It is better to consult a psychologist or psychiatrist as soon as possible.
- Learn how to help them to get rid of their problems. Support them and console them.
- There is no one without depression in this busy world. Stretch out to the people who are facing this problem helps them to lead a peaceful life.
- Spread love to everyone because most of the people who go through depression are lacking love and care. If you are on social media, post up quotes on fighting back our problems. It doesn’t matter whether you experience depression or not; fight back your problems.
- Sadness is the start of the depression, so never feel sad; keep yourself and your surroundings happy by indulging in things you like.
- If there is sudden weight loss, mood swings, and frequent irritation, the person might face depression. It is best to get screened.
Why is it important to observe National Depression Screening Day?
- It helps to overcome our stress and depressions.
- The day we come to know that how people around your surroundings face this problem supports them by encouraging them to opt for depression screening.
- People facing depressions or mental illness come to know how to overcome this problem via depression screening.
- Most of them don’t tell anyone that they are experiencing mental illness; they hide, or they may be introverts, so guide them to better this problem. Hence it is a must to observe national depression screening day.
When is National Depression Screening Day 2022?