Last Updated on May 25, 2023
National Fish and Chip Day is an annual celebration in the United Kingdom. It is celebrated on the first Friday in June, and it’s a day to celebrate one of the UK’s favorite dishes, fish and chips. People can enjoy this delicious meal with family and friends while supporting local businesses. It is a wonderful day to pay tribute to the authentic dish and enjoy it with your folks.
History of National Fish and Chip Day
National Fish and Chip Day was first celebrated in the UK in 2015. The National Edible Oil Distributors Association (NEODA) created the day to celebrate the nation’s love for fish and chips and promote the industry. The agenda of this day was to give more employment opportunities to people within this industry.
Related: National Chocolate Chip Day
Why Celebrate National Fish and Chip Day?
This day is a special day to celebrate the delicious British fish and chips dish. Fish and chips have been a popular dish in the UK for over 150 years and have become a national tradition. Also, this day is observed to support local businesses. Many fish and chip shops are small, family-owned businesses, and keeping them thriving is important to us. Celebrating National Fish and Chip Day helps the business to rise and flourish in this competitive world. This day also celebrates the importance of fish and chip shops in the communities. These restaurants offer the feel of a particular place; on this day, people can come together to enjoy a meal with their friends and family.
How to Celebrate National Fish and Chip Day?
Here are some ways to celebrate National Fish and Chip Day:
- Go to your local fish and chip shop with your family and friends and have a fun meal.
- You can have a fish and chip lunch or dinner party at home with your friends!
- On National Fish and Chip Day, you can show your love for fish and chips by sharing photos and tweets using the hashtag #nationalfishandchipday.
- You can also consider trying a new fish and chip recipe at home. It’s going to be fun!
- You can also spread the word via social media by sharing a photo of your favorite fish and chip shop meal on social media; you’re helping support local businesses.
Related: National Potato Chips day
Fun Facts About Fish and Chips
Here are some fun facts about fish and chips:
- The UK’s first fish and chip shop opened in 1860 in London.
- During World War II, fish and chips were one of the few foods that were not rationed, making them a popular meal during the war.
- The record for the largest serving of fish and chips was set in Yorkshire in 2014, with 101 portions.
- In the UK, approximately 382 million portions of fish and chips are consumed each year.
- Fish and chips are often served with mushy peas in Australia and New Zealand.
In conclusion, National Fish and Chip Day is a day to celebrate one of the UK’s most popular dishes and to support local businesses. Today, people from all over the country come together to enjoy a meal at their favorite fish and chip shop or try a new recipe at home. This is a great way to connect with friends and family and have a delicious, happy meal.