Last Updated on May 24, 2023
National Garfield the Cat Day is celebrated on June 19 every year to honor the famous orange cat who has been making people laugh for over 40 years. Garfield, created by cartoonist Jim Davis, first appeared in 1978 and is now an iconic character known and loved by millions worldwide. This day is celebrated to admire and honor the beautiful orange cat, which provides humor to people of all age groups.
History of National Garfield the Cat Day
This special day is celebrated to honor the iconic comic strip character Garfield. Garfield first appeared in newspapers on June 19, 1978; since then, he has become a popular pop culture figure. Celebrate National Garfield the Cat Day by watching TV series or reading comic books.
Related: Black cat appreciation day
Why Celebrate National Garfield the Cat Day?
This wonderful day is a great way to celebrate the iconic character and his impact on popular culture. Garfield has entertained people for over 40 years with his witty humor and love for lasagna. The holiday is also an opportunity to raise awareness about animal welfare and encourage people to adopt cats from shelters.
How to Celebrate National Garfield the Cat Day?
There are many ways to celebrate National Garfield the Cat Day. Here are some ideas:
- Read the Garfield comic strip: On this day, you can read a Garfield comic strip with a cup of coffee and the Sunday paper. You can also find Garfield comics online or in comic book collections.
- Watch a Garfield movie: Make the most of this day by watching the best movies, including Garfield: The Movie and Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties.
- Make a lasagna: Garfield loves lasagna, so wear your chef’s day and make some lasagna to celebrate National Garfield the Cat Day. You can make a classic lasagna or try a vegetarian or vegan version.
- Visit a cat cafe: If you love cats, you should visit a cat cafe to hang out with them. This is where you can enjoy their company and have a lot of fun. This is one of the best ways to celebrate this iconic day.
- Adopt a cat: National Garfield the Cat Day is great for adopting a cat from a local shelter. Many shelters offer special discounts on this day, so it’s the perfect time to find your new furry friend.
Related: Cat day
Fun Facts about Garfield
Here are some fun facts about Garfield to inspire you to celebrate National Garfield the Cat Day:
- Garfield’s favorite food is lasagna.
- Garfield was named after Jim Davis’s grandfather, James A. Garfield Davis.
- The Garfield comic strip is syndicated in over 2,500 newspapers worldwide.
- Garfield has been featured in several TV series, including Garfield and Friends and The Garfield Show.
- Garfield has his own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- Garfield has appeared in over 40 books, including his comic book series.
- Garfield’s best friend is Odie, the lovable dog.
National Garfield the Cat Day is a day to celebrate the comic strip character Garfield and his importance. Garfield has entertained people for over forty years with his funny jokes and loves for lasagna. This holiday is a great opportunity to raise awareness about animal welfare and encourage people to adopt cats from shelters. So whether you read comic strips, watch a movie, make lasagna, or adopt a cat, make the most of this day, celebrate National Garfield the Cat Day, and honor this beloved character.