Last Updated on May 25, 2023
National Jerky Day is celebrated every year on June 12th. It’s a unique day to celebrate the delicious, nutritious jerky. Jerky is a popular snack that has existed for a long time and is part of many cultures worldwide. This day is a chance for people to learn more about the history and significance of jerky. This yummy and healthy jerky has a day dedicated to it.
History of National Jerky Day
Jerky is a food that originated in ancient civilizations like the Incas and Native American tribes. Drying meat made it a good way to store food for a long period, and over time, the process of drying meat evolved into what we now call jerky. Jerky is made from various meats and seasonings and can be a great energy source and protein for people. Therefore, it is widely preferred by people who want to store nutritious food longer.
Related: National Brisket Day
Why Celebrate National Jerky Day?
This day is celebrated for several reasons:
- It is an opportunity to recognize the cultural significance of jerky and its importance as a food source throughout history.
- This day is a chance to celebrate jerky’s unique and delicious taste, which has become a popular snack worldwide.
- Jerky is a nutritious snack high in protein and low in fat, making it a good choice for anyone looking for a healthy snack.
How to Celebrate National Jerky Day?
There are many ways to celebrate National Jerky Day. Here are a few options to make the most of this day.
Enjoy Jerky: One of the best ways is to enjoy some jerky from your local grocery store or make your own at home. There are many recipes available online that will guide you through the process of making jerky using different types of meats and seasonings.
Tasting Party: Another way to celebrate is to organize a tasting party where guests can sample different types of jerky. Please invite your friends and family over and have them bring their favorite jerky flavor. Then, set up a tasting table and have everyone rate the jerky based on taste and texture.
Try Unique Recipe: When feeling creative, you can use jerky in different recipes to add flavor and texture. For example, you can add it to soups, stews, and salads or use it as a topping for pizza and pasta dishes. You can also make your own jerky trail mix by combining jerky with nuts, seeds, and dried fruit.
Related: National cold cuts day
Here are some fun facts about jerky and National Jerky Day:
- Jerky has been around for thousands of years, and it was an important food source for ancient civilizations such as the Incas and Native American tribes.
- The word “jerky” comes from the Quechua word “charqui,” which means “dried meat.”
- Jerky is made using a variety of meats, including beef, pork, turkey, and even alligator.
- Jerky is a high-protein snack that is low in fat, making it an excellent choice for anyone looking for a healthy snack.
- The most popular flavors of jerky include beef, teriyaki, and pepper.
- The largest jerky store in the world is the Beef Jerky Outlet in Tennessee, which offers over 200 varieties of jerky.
- In 2019, Americans consumed over $3 billion worth of jerky.
National Jerky Day is a unique national day in June to celebrate jerky, a healthy snack that has been around for centuries. People love jerky for its delicious taste and its many health benefits. There are many ways to celebrate National Jerky Day, including eating jerky on its own, using it in recipes, or creating your own version of jerky. So get your jerky fix, enjoy National Jerky Day with all the jerky lovers, and make beautiful memories.