Last Updated on March 26, 2023
National Licorice Day is celebrated on April 12th each year, and it is a day to honor the sweet, licorice-like taste and history of this food. Licorice is a super ingredient and has been used for thousands of years for its medicinal properties. It is also used as a sweet treat and is enjoyed by people across the globe.
History of National Licorice Day
Licorice is a plant that is native to parts of the Mediterranean and Asia. People popularly use licorice for its medicinal properties. The ancient Greeks and Romans believed that licorice root had a lot of healing power. It was often used to treat things like digestive problems, respiratory illnesses, and other problems.
Licorice was first made in Holland in the 16th century, quickly becoming a popular treat in many parts of the world. The Dutch brought licorice to America in the 1800s, and it’s now a favorite candy in many parts of the world.
Related: Candy Day
Why Celebrate National Licorice Day?
This day marks the celebration of the unique taste and history of licorice. Licorice has a distinctive flavor that many people love, and it has been enjoyed for thousands of years for its medicinal properties and as a sweet treat. The National Licorice Day holiday is an opportunity to honor its long history, enjoy its sweet and savory taste, and make the most of its medicinal benefits.
How to Celebrate National Licorice Day
Here are some ways to celebrate National Licorice Day:
- Try Different Types of Licorice: On the occasion of National Licorice Day, try different types of licorice and figure out which one you like the most. Some are soft and smooth, while others are hard and crunchy. Enjoy the distinct flavor.
- Make Homemade Licorice: If you want to experiment, you can try making your own licorice. There are many recipes available online, both for sweet and savory varieties.
- Share Licorice with Friends and Family: Connect with like-minded licorice fans and share your favorite types with each other.
- Learn about the History of Licorice: Liquorice is a long-standing medicinal herb used to treat various health problems. On this day, rewind old pages and read the history behind licorice.
- Visit a Licorice Factory or Store: If you live near a licorice factory or specialty store, you can celebrate the holiday by visiting and trying different kinds of licorice.
Related: National Rocky Road Day
Fun Facts about National Licorice Day
Here are some fun facts about licorice:
- Licorice root has been used for thousands of years for its medicinal properties, including treating digestive problems, respiratory illnesses, and skin conditions.
- Licorice candy is made from the root of the licorice plant, which contains a compound called glycyrrhizin that gives licorice its distinctive flavor.
- In some countries, such as Finland and the Netherlands, licorice is a popular flavor of ice cream.
- Licorice candy was often given to soldiers during World War I and II as a source of energy.
- In some parts of the world, licorice is used as a natural sweetener in tea and other beverages.
National Licorice Day is a unique national day in April 2023, celebrating licorice’s unique flavor and long history. You can enjoy licorice in many different ways, whether in the form of soft or hard candy, twists, or bites; you will love the uniqueness. Licorice is also known for its medicinal properties, so on National Licorice Day, take some time to enjoy this delicious treat and honor its importance to history.