Last Updated on November 28, 2023
National Mario Day is an annual holiday celebrated on March 10th to honor our humble Mario, one of the most popular video game characters of all time. Mario has been entertaining players for over four decades with his iconic adventures and cheerful personality. On National Mario Day, fans of all ages come together to celebrate this beloved character and the impact it has made in everyone’s childhood. Let’s learn more about Mario, the history behind the day, some cool facts, and why we celebrate National Mario Day.
History of National Mario Day
Mario is a character who first appeared in the game Donkey Kong in 1981. He was very popular, so Miyamoto created a spinoff game featuring Mario as the main character. This game is called Mario Bros and was released in 1983. The game was very successful and introduced many of the elements that would become synonymous with the Mario franchise, including Mario’s signature red hat, overalls, and mustache. Since then, Mario has starred in over 200 video games. He is one of history’s most popular and recognizable video game characters and of course loved by all.
Why do we celebrate National Mario Day?
National Mario Day is a special celebration of Mario’s impact on the video game industry and popular culture. Mario has become an iconic symbol of perseverance, adventure, and fun, and his influence extends far beyond the gaming world. Celebrating this day is a way to honor the legacy of this beloved character and enjoy the nostalgia and joy that he brings.
How to celebrate National Mario Day?
There are many ways to celebrate National Mario Day, depending on your interests and preferences. Here are some fabulous ideas to get started:
- Play Mario Games: National Mario Day is a great day to get in the spirit of Mario’s famous adventures. Playing classic games like Super Mario Bros., Super Mario 64, and Super Mario Odyssey is a great way to celebrate everything that Mario stands for.
- Watch Mario-Themed Movies and TV Shows: On this day, let’s celebrate all that Mario has done over the years, from his video games to his movie and TV appearances. Watch some of your favorite Mario-related media, and have a great day with your favorite virtual character.
- Dress Up as Mario: If you’re feeling extra festive, consider dressing up as Mario for the day. With his signature red hat, overalls, and mustache, Mario is a well-known and beloved character that’s easy to recreate too.
- Create Mario-Themed Crafts and Decorations: Make a bunch of crafts and decorations based on your favorite video game character, Mario. You could make paper mache mushrooms, paint canvases of Mario scenes, or even make a piñata based on the Mario character. Make sure you use this creation to decorate your room.
Fun facts about National Mario Day
- The name “Mario” was chosen because the character’s appearance reminded Miyamoto of his landlord, whose name was Mario Segale.
- Mario has appeared in over 200 video games, making him one of the most prolific video game characters of all time.
- The original Super Mario Bros. game was released in 1985 and has sold over 40 million copies worldwide.
- Mario has appeared in various sports-themed games, including Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, and Mario Kart.
- The character has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, awarded to him in 1998.
National Mario Day is the best way to celebrate one of the most iconic video game characters ever. From his humble beginnings in Donkey Kong to his latest adventures in games like Super Mario Odyssey, Mario has been loved by players throughout the years. Enjoy this day and celebrate the evergreen character Mario with like-minded folks.