Pi is a mathematical constant. The pi was first calculated by Archimedes of Syracuse, who lived from 287-212 BC. The constant pi has got a unique aspect. The national pi day is celebrated to honor this special number in various countries around the world. Pi day is a celebration to honor numbers and mathematics. Pi has got its role in various concepts in mathematics. Pi is a homophone of a delicious dish called the pie. So the pie is also celebrated along with pi on the national pi day March is for all the pi enthusiasts.
History of National Pi Day
The national pi day is celebrated annually on day March 14. The day was selected as the value of pie is 3.14… approximately. Opt day to celebrate the constant value is the 14th day of the 3rd month. The pi day was first celebrated in the year 1988 on March 14. Larry Shaw organized the celebration at the San Francisco Exploratorium. The Exploratorium holds the pi day to date. The Exploratorium celebrates the pi holiday with great enthusiasm on March 14.
The national pi day, March 14, was started officially in the year 2009. The U.S House of Representatives passed a non-binding resolution to recognize March 14th as the national π day. Celebrate pi day March with your mathematician’s buddies and spread the word on social media. To celebrate pi Exploratorium holiday is a big day for all the pie lovers.
Few Facts About pi
- Pi is an irrational number and is calculated according to the ratio of a circle’s circumference. The exact value of pi isn’t known. Any mathematicians couldn’t find a recognizable pattern about the infinite digits of pi that kept emerging starting from 3.1415626……..
- The digits of pi can be calculated over a trillion times after the decimal point. The first three number is only considered.
- Greek letter π is the ratio of the circle’s circumference to its diameter. The pi value remains the same for all circles, even if they differ in size. It is constant for the circle diameter.
- Pi’s value plays a vital role in measuring natural phenomena such as ocean tides, ebb, and flow. The value of pi also finds its role in the measurement of electromagnetic waves. The word pie is derived from the Greek letter π, and it is the mathematical constant.
- The value of pi is also used to calculate the shape of the rivers, the disc of the sun, and the size of the pupil of our eye. The digits are highly reliable and are used to calculate the circumference of a circle.
What should we do on National Pi Day?
The national pi day celebration should be a serious celebration day on March 14 by mathematician. The holiday is to celebrate the value of pi, especially the first three numbers. The value of pi has trillion digits after the decimal. It would be a wonderful idea to check our memory skills by memorizing as many digits as possible.
We can also celebrate the day by relishing a delicious pie with our family and friends as pi sounds like pie. There is also a nation pie day to enjoy a lot of pie-eating on March 12
Why Should We Celebrate National Pi Day?
Pi is an amazing invention in the field of mathematics that has to be celebrated. Pi value is a great invention that had broken the mysteries of various things in this physical world. The pi has to be celebrated to pay respect to Archimedes, who invented the pi.
The pi value has led to many other concepts in the mathematical and physical world. It is hard to imagine how we would have calculated certain things on this earth if pi was not invented.