Every year on October 1, National poetry day is celebrated. It is very important to celebrate national poetry day because people depict their emotions and their struggles in life through writing poems. Every year, people get a theme on this day, and they write a poem on the given topic.
History of National Poetry Day
- William Seighart, a British entrepreneur. He has got many awards for his poems. His bestselling books are ‘The poetry pharmacy,’ ‘The poetry remedy.’ National poetry day is a British campaign to encourage individuals.
- On National poetry day thousands of amazing events across the UK in schools, libraries, bus stops, bookstores, hospitals. This is done to encourage people to increase their interest in writing and reading poems.
- The best poets of all time are Shakespeare, Robert Frost, Maya Angelou. People always take them as their role modal because their poems are always awesome and so real to read!
- The epic of Gilgamesh is the first and oldest poem of all, and the poet is unknown. The rig Vedas of Hinduism, The song of the weaver from Egypt are also known as the oldest poem ever.
- The world’s first author, known by the name is Enheduana, an Akkadian poet(region of Iraq). She was the daughter of Sargon of Akkad.
How to observe National Poetry Day?
- On this day, many people conduct many events and workshops, so clear up some time to attend the events. Reading poems is one of the best ways to spend your time. Sit in a quiet place, keep your mind calm, read your favorite poem, or write a poem.
- On this day in many book stores books are sold at a low cost where everyone can buy. So don’t miss the offer use it to upgrade your language.
- Many events are celebrated to expose the knowledge of youngsters. This day is not celebrated for the youngsters involve children also that they can also improve in poetry. Organize various literary festivals.
- Invite your friends to read or write poems at a place you feel calm and comfortable. National poetry day is mostly celebrated in Ireland and the United Kingdom.
- The largest literary celebration in the world witnessed more than 10 million readers, which also included students, teachers, booksellers, literary events curators, publishers, and most importantly, creative poets.
- Write a poem, take a picture of it, and then post the picture with #NationalPoetryMonth#NationalPoetry day.
- The 2020 National poetry day’s theme is “VISION,” which would take place on 1st October, this year on Thursday.
Why celebrating National Poetry Day is important?
- Carol Ann Duffy, the first female and openly gay poet laureate in the UK.
- Writing a poem inspires us to observe the world or know about ourselves, friends, loved ones. Poetry is the best way we can share our feelings.
- Anne Frank shares a quote in the diary that mentions that ‘paper is more patient than people.’
- Reading increases our knowledge and increases our creativity.
- Poetry comes from the highest happiness or sometimes from the worst form of sorrow.
When is National Poetry Day?
Other Days Celebrated in October
- National Hair Day
- International Older Persons Day
- National Black Dog Day
- National Homemade Cookies Day
- National Taco Day