Is it not weird to know there is a national day for an ugly sweater? Yes! There is a tradition of wearing an ugly sweater on a day in the United States of America, Canada, United Kingdom and a few other countries. Each year the third Friday of every December is celebrated as the national ugly sweater day.
The national day of the ugly sweater is also known for fundraising for charity. The day is popularly known as national ugly Christmas sweater day. The joy of Christmas starts once it is December and the day dedicated to ugly sweater will add extra essence to the Christmas mood.
History of National ugly sweater day
The national ugly sweater day hasn’t got a long history. The ugly sweater became a household meme in the 1980s because of the Cosby shows. The sweaters were outdated in the mid of 1990s and the trend was back in 2000s. The trend of celebrating ugly sweater day was an inspiration due to the character played by Chevy Chase in National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.
Historical facts on National ugly sweater day
- It is said that the first ugly sweater was made under the name Jingle bell sweaters in the 1980s. The jingle bell sweaters became more popular in 1989 as the whole family wore it in a show called National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.
- In the year 2002, the first ugly-sweater party was held in Vancouver, Canada to support the cancer treatment for a friend. The celebration inspired many people in other parts of the worlds and fundraising was done on national ugly sweater day for the cause of charity.
- The world’s most expensive ugly sweater was sold for $90,000 in the year 2018.
- The trend of ugly sweater reached popularity after 2010 that it has become so expensive to purchase it.
What should we do on National ugly sweater day?
One must try to purchase the ugly sweater from the market and wear it on the national ugly sweater day. If we like to make an ugly sweater, it would nice to wear a self-made ugly sweater and enjoy the day.
It would be a good idea to celebrate a part where everyone are asked to wear ugly sweaters and raise fund for charity.
Why should we celebrate National ugly sweater day?
- Ugly sweater day is a unique celebration. It would be more fun to flaunt in ugly sweaters and check out who wears the ugliest sweater in our group.
- December is for celebrations. It is nice to celebrate national ugly sweater day and lighten up the mood of Christmas.
- The trend of wearing sweaters will never be forgotten if a day is celebrated for ugly sweaters.
- On purchasing ugly sweater we are helping the one who makes it and makes a living out of it.
Generally Ugly sweaters aren’t nice to wear. It is wonderful that the national ugly sweater day is observed for a wonderful cause. The ugly sweater gets a badge of pride for a day each year.
When is National Ugly Sweater Day?