Last Updated on April 16, 2023
Whatever may be your job, some the other ways we all are victims of a sedentary lifestyle. We spend more time sitting rather than moving our muscles. A walk is a must and best for people of all age groups. National walking day is celebrated as the first Wednesday of April. The more time you are spending a walk, the more healthy and happy you will be. Walking is the best cure to eliminate negative health effects spread due to a sedentary lifestyle.
History of National Walking Day
Walking has always made every human healthy and free from disease. As per the archaeologist’s research, it is said that the human tribes would walk great distances to slack and get their prey. They waited for long hours to sleep before making their meal. Walking is mandatory to keep your physique healthy.
- During the Victorian time period, pedestrianism was quite a rage.
- Walking started to gain popularity and was considered a sport in America and Europe.
- People would start betting over who could make it for the marathon distance faster. This is how race walking was considered to be part of the Olympics.
- According to the American Heart Association, the first Wednesday of April has been celebrated since 2007 as the National walking day. It is done to promote healthy living and health practices.
Related: National Go Barefoot Day
How To Celebrate National Walking Day
Be it taking a walk at your local park or holding the hand of your loved one, encourage your near and dear ones to walk every day. Apart from various health benefits, you can always use walking to spend quality time with your near and dear ones.
The first step to having a healthy walk is to wear comfortable sneakers or walking shoes. Make sure you wear a comfortable outfit, preferably track pants. At the same time, watch stretch the muscles and move your arms fully. Moreover, keep yourself well hydrated during the walk and always follow the right posture.
Observe the national walking day, take at least 30 minutes of outdoor walking and use the hashtag #NationalWalkingDay to promote it on social media. You can also rope in your friends, family, and colleagues, encouraging them to walk daily for at least 30 minutes.
Related: Global Running Day
Why Celebrate National Walk Day is Important
- You can either walk or return the phone calls to make the most of walking. Opt for stairs and say goodbye to the elevators and escalators. In fact, you can also walk your dog while enjoying the fresh air in the local park.
- Walking offers many health benefits to everyone; walking after dinner and lunch is always best. It will keep you healthy and fit. Walking is the basic form of exercise and is perfect for people of all ages.
- It is said that sitting is the new smoking as it can have an ill effect on your health and can be fatal too. Make sure you walk regularly and stay fit and healthy. Celebrate the walking day and create awareness.
When is National Walking Day?