- Every year on October 15, Global handwashing day is observed. This day is celebrated to motivate people to change their handwashing methods.
- This day is very important to celebrate because ‘Our hands, our future.’
- To keep your hands clean, ‘ Kill the germs with soap, and bury using sanitizers.’
History of Global Handwashing Day
- Ignaz Semmelweis found hand hygiene was a Hungarian physician and scientist. He was known as the ‘savior of mothers.’
- The first Global handwashing day was celebrated in 2008. Nearly 120 million children washed their hands; more than 70 countries participated in the event.
- Nearly 50% of death in the world is due to lack of hygiene!
- Soaps were first found in Babylon in 2800 BC. The soaps were made using fats and wood ashes.
- The word soap was got from Mountain Sapo in Rome.
- The Arabic chemist was the first to introduce scented soaps. They used scented oils to make scented soaps. They also found colored soaps; some were liquid soaps, and some were solid-state soaps.
- Pears transparent soap is the oldest brand of soaps. Andrew pears founded it in 1807.
- Soaps are essential in our lives; they help us kill the germs in our hands, which we can’t see.
How to observe Global Handwashing Day?
- On this day, spreading the importance of using soaps to people makes them understand that washing hands with soaps is very effective and affordable and keeps away from diseases and germs.
- Give the needy people soaps to safeguard them from germs and diseases and give soaps to an orphanage or any home.
- On this day, go to a soap manufacturing company to know ‘how soaps are manufactured.’
- Go to a nearby store get the needed materials to make a bar of soap.
- On this day, many stores sell soaps on clearance, so get as many soaps you can and give them to your friends, family because safety first, security next!
- Teach people how to wash their hands in a perfect way.
- The theme for 2020 ‘Global handwashing day’ is ‘Save lives: Clean your hands’
- During this 2020 pandemic(covid19) period washing hands and keeping ourselves clean is the most important work to keep us away from viruses.
- The effects of poor hygiene can cause food poisoning, the virus affects, and many other diseases! Washing hands is key to overcome all these problems!
- Ethiopia is a country in East Africa that lacks hygiene! The country doesn’t have a good water system, and sanitization is not too good.
- Switzerland in Europe has the best sanitization, and the country is pollution-free and is the most hygienic country.
Why is it important to observe Global Handwashing Day?
- Global handwashing day is significant to celebrate. On this day, come to know the importance of washing hands.
- On October 15, we also come to know the importance of using water!
- Antibacterial oregano soap is one of the well-known soaps to kill germs.
- ‘Use soap to scrub on your hand, or you’ll spread diseases to all the land.’
When is Global Handwashing Day?