Last Updated on April 17, 2023
World Environment Day is a day that is observed to protect nature. This National Day urges everyone to protect their natural surroundings. Protecting nature may sound simple, but it is an important thing that we failed to consider. Some facts may help you to understand the importance of nature. Every year nearly 7 million people die due to the causes related to air pollution, and now this may convey the importance of protecting nature. We are in the stage of protecting nature. At least we should protect it for us to have a healthy life. Every year June 5 is observed as World Environment Day, and the objective of this day is to protect and save nature.
History of the World Environment Day
- 1968 (The idea for world environment day was born, and Sweden suggested to the United Nations to have a conference focused on the environment)
- 1972 (First United Nations conference held about the environment and its issues like global warming, marine pollution, and human overpopulation)
- 1974 (The first world environmental day was celebrated in Spokane at, Washington)
- 2019 (China raised awareness with the slogan “Beat Air Pollution” for the seven million people who die every year due to the causes of air pollution.
Related: International Mountain Day
Activities to do on the World Environment Day
- Plant trees and do not spoil the existing trees
Trees are one of the best things that save and protect nature; trees absorb all odors and harmful gases. Trees also filter and purify the air; trees act as an air conditioner during the summer. So on this world environment day, plant trees as much as possible and never damage or cut the existing trees.
- Make a commitment
On this day, commit to recycling, do not throw all the things on the street or at the regular dust bin. You can throw the plastics in the recycle bin so that the government will recycle it and the pollution level will be decreased. Do not throw a small plastic cup in the normal bin because the recycle bin is unavailable. Search for the recycle bin and dispose of the plastic there.
- Be a volunteer
Anyone can be a volunteer, and the volunteer can make a great difference in the community. So, get out of your comfort zone and start volunteering. Start creating awareness about the importance of nature and the protection of nature to your friends, family, and neighbors.
Why Everyone Loves World Environment Day?
- The day encourages people to take action.
World environment day creates awareness among the people, and it encourages people to take some action to save nature. It makes people understand the diseases caused by polluted nature and encourages them to act.
- The day reconnects us with nature.
Sometimes we may forget about the importance of nature due to our personal work, and we may also forget to be concerned about nature and lose our relationship with nature. This world environment day reconnects us with nature. This day tells us the importance of nature in our well-being and how we depend on nature. This day is the perfect occasion to celebrate the best things about nature and celebrate our bonding with nature.
When is World Environment Day?