National nurses day is observed on May 6 of every year. National nurses day is the beginning of the national nurses week (which starts on May 6 and ends on May 12). The objective of the national nurses day is to recognize and to thanks the nurses who are working day and night to make the world healthy. This special day is to acknowledge the important role of the nurse in the society. Sometimes some people call the national nurses day as national recognition day.
History of National Nurses Day
- In 1953, the employees at the United States Department of Health, sent a letter to the president Eisenhower regarding the proposal of national nurses day, but the official proclamation was not made on that year. Then on the following year, people began celebrating national nurses week on their own.
- Then in the year of 1974, president Nixon proclaimed the national nurses week.
- In the year of 1981, a resolution was initiated by nurses in New Mexico to celebrate the May 6th as National nurses day / National recognition day for nurses.
- In the year of 1982, the proposal for the national nurses day was signed by President Reagan.
- Then later in 1990, it was expanded to a week-long celebration by ANA boards of director
Things to do on National Nurses Day
- Be a nurse for a day
The best way to fully appreciate the nurses who are working harder is by being a nurse for a day. So approach a known nurse and try to be with them. Serve the patients, care for them. Be with a nurse and be a nurse (there will be some way to be a nurse for a day without the license).
- Throw a party
If you know any nurse throw them a party for their hard work and appreciate them. Another easy way to appreciate the nurses is, get chocolates and give it to the nurses whom you are seeing and wish them.
- Trend a hashtag on social media
On your social media account, post about the nurses and their hard work and use a hashtag #nationalnursesday. This will create awareness for the other people and they can know about the importance of the nurse and how much effort they are putting to serve and save the world.
Why everyone loves National Nurses Day?
- Selfless love and compassionate
Nurses are professionals who will not care about themselves and they really care for the patients a lot. They will care for their patients, they show the care and support for the person to get out of the disease.
Nurses are one of the symbols of hard work. They struggle a lot in their profession, they take risks much, they will be with the patients and they may get affected but they will not care much about it. They just work hard for the health of the people.
- The nurse is a familiar face in the hospital
Nurses will be familiar faces in the hospital because they care for the people coming there. They care for them, they spend time with patients and they become familiar to all.
On this very special day at least appreciate a nurse and convey to them how much they mean to the world and society. Happy National Nurses Day!
When is National Nurses Day?