Johnny Appleseed Day is celebrated on September 26 of every year. On this day, we honor the man who made apple and pear trees grow across his country. This day is to honor the man, his birth, intellectual ability, wisdom, and enduring story. Before knowing Johnny Appleseed Day, we have to know who is Johnny Appleseed. This name may sound like a children’s television show or a nursery rhyme. Whatever, Johnny Appleseed was an American pioneer nurseryman, and he introduced apple trees to almost all parts of America. His generous and kind way made him a symbol of the importance of the apple and a key leader in conservation.
History of Jhonny Appleseed Day
- 328 BCE – Alexander the great has discovered dwarf apples in the area of modern-day Kazakhstan.
- 17th Century – Apple has arrived in the new world; the colonists began introducing apple to the North American Continent.
- September 26, 1774 – The man, the hope, the legend, the real historical John Chapman (Johnny Appleseed) was born in Massachusetts.
- 1792 – To begin the legendary nomadic life, Johnny Appleseed headed west out of Massachusetts and planted his first nursery near Warren, Pennsylvania.
- March 18, 1845 – Johnny Appleseed died in Fort Wayne, Indiana. After a life of travel and conservation, he died.
There is no authentic date in the history of Johnny Appleseed Day, but remembering the day is to honor the legend, wisdom, and great work.
Activities to do on Johnny Appleseed Day
- Try to make some cider.
This one seems and sounds too easy. You will not face any difficulties or problems, which is one of the best ways to celebrate. In honor of the man (Jhonny Appleseed), so just brew up a home batch of your own tasty apple cider and enjoy it. There is an endless recipe available on the internet to make apple cider and find the one that fits you.
- Try some apple desserts.
On this Johnny Appleseed day, you can also try and enjoy a variety of apple desserts. And do not miss salted caramel apple crisp, apple crumb cheesecake pie, blackberry crumbles with a sour cream whip, caramel apple baked donuts and apple cinnamon honey cake.
Why Everyone Loves Johnny Appleseed Day?
- Apple is great
Apple is not just a source of fiber; it is enriched in vitamin C, vitamin K, and potassium. Apple makes you healthy, and it is tasty. It is hard to hate the taste of apples. With the delicious taste, apple gives many health contents to keep you healthy.
- It is Johnny’s birthday.
Johnny Appleseed was born on September 26, 1774, and that’s why we are celebrating Johnny Appleseed Day on September 26. He was born in a place called Leominster, Massachusetts, and the place where he was born is now called “Johnny Appleseed Lane.”
- We love cider
There is an interesting fact, that is, the apples planted by Jhonny Appleseed were not good for eating. People called them spitters because if you take a bit, then you will spit it out. But those apples were great for cider.
When is National Johnny Appleseed Day?