Last Updated on March 26, 2023
National Scrabble Day is celebrated annually on April 13th. It’s a day to celebrate the fun and skill-building game of Scrabble, which millions worldwide love. Scrabble is a word game that is played by two to four players who use letter tiles to create words on a board. It’s a game of strategy, skill, and luck, and people of all ages enjoy it. If you are excellent with the alphabet and building words, then you can’t miss celebrating National Scrabble Day.
History of National Scrabble Day
This day is celebrated on the first Thursday of every November. National Scrabble Day is named after Alfred Mosher Butts, an architect from Poughkeepsie, New York, who invented a game called Scrabble in 1938. Scrabble didn’t become popular until after Butts met James Brunot, an entrepreneur. The duo worked on improving the game and tried various tricks to make the game super interesting. Now, Scrabble is a popular game enjoyed by many people worldwide.
Related: National Puzzle Day
Why Celebrate National Scrabble Day?
National Scrabble Day is a day to celebrate the game of Scrabble and to promote its popularity across the globe. Playing Scrabble regularly can help to improve vocabulary, spelling, and cognitive skills. When you play this game regularly, you can see that it helps to enhance mental agility, increase word recognition, and improve memory. Scrabble is also a great way to socialize and spend time with friends and family.
How to Celebrate National Scrabble Day?
There are many ways to celebrate National Scrabble Day. Here are a few ideas to make the most of this word game:
- Host a Scrabble Tournament: What else can be the best way other than hosting a Scrabble tournament with your friends, family, or coworkers? Set up different tables and have everyone play against each other. The winner of each table can then compete in a final round to determine the overall winner.
- Organize a Scrabble Marathon: Try playing for a long time, like six or eight hours, to improve your Scrabble skills. Set up a comfortable area, gather some snacks, and start playing with friends, family, or strangers.
- Play Scrabble Online: This day is a day to celebrate Scrabble; you can play this game online with other people and even with your distant friends. There are many websites and apps where you can play Scrabble online.
- Create a Scrabble-Themed Party: You can decorate your home with Scrabble tiles and have Scrabble-themed snacks and drinks. You can even dress up as Scrabble tiles or characters from the game. Make sure to spread the word on social media and click amazing pictures.
Related: National Video Game Day
Fun Facts about Scrabble
- The game Scrabble is available in 29 different languages.
- The highest-scoring word ever played in Scrabble was “oxyphenbutazone,” which is worth 1,778 points.
- More than 150 million Scrabble sets have been sold worldwide.
- Scrabble is the most popular board game in the world.
- The world record for the highest score in a single Scrabble game is 1,049 points.
National Scrabble Day is a great way to celebrate the game of Scrabble and talk about the benefits of this word game. On this April national day, you can play the game with your friends and family, enjoy all the benefits, and spend this memorable day. Whether you are a seasoned Scrabble player or a beginner, there are many ways to celebrate National Scrabble Day. So, gather your friends and family, set up your Scrabble board, and get ready to have some fun!