Last Updated on April 19, 2023
June 21st is considered national selfie day; this day is the perfect time to find the perfect angle, new filter, and new social media. Wear your perfect outfit, adjust your hair, find your lights, and strike a post. We should thank the smartphone and social media for this awesome day. Nowadays, the selfie has become a part of our life; it is the perfect way to capture our beauty. In the olden days, to take photos, only the camera was there to take a photo. The camera phone was invented, and we needed another person to take a photo on the camera phone, but now the selfie camera has made that work as easy. Just open the camera, find the perfect place, and take a snap.
History of the National Selfie Day
- 1839 – World’s first selfie was taken by Robert Cornelius using the daguerreotype method
- The 1970s to 1980s – The PLATO system introduced a technology that became the basis of social media platforms, and the first digital camera was invented in the year of 1979.
- The 1990s to 2000s – The first global social media pages like Facebook, MySpace, and Debut became popular.
- 2002 – Mobile phones were released with front-facing cameras, which is one reason for the selfie’s popularity.
- 2014 – Selfie song and video were released by the ChainSmokers (An American electronic DJ).
Selfie Day was created to encourage selfie because it has become a part of life. Also, it benefits every field, from entertainment and art to marketing and business. There is no authentic date in the history of national selfie day.
Related: National Camera Day
Activities to do on National Selfie Day
- Take selfies
Taking a selfie is fun (whether for personal use or for your social media), and it is a great way to experiment with self-expression. So be in the perfect lighting place, lift your chain a little, try a new filter, and take a selfie.
- Go for a photoshoot
You can also take a photo shoot with your friends, family, or even solo. Search for some DIY backdrop ideas, wear your favorite outfit, play some music, and strike a pose.
- Discover new places
Get out of your routine and go out to find some places that will be amazing for selfies. Many places (including hotels, restaurants, libraries, and other public places) have updated their interior to be perfect for selfies. Get out there, have some good memories, and click a selfie.
Related: Nature Photography Day
Why everyone loves National Selfie Day?
- Boost your self-confidence
A study at the University of California, Irvine found that taking selfies promotes and boosts self-confidence. Even someone taking selfies will keep a comfortable mindset.
The filters, ring light, selfie camera, and selfie stick are helpful to level up your selfie. And the selfie is not just a photo; it is your identity of yourself.
- Selfie is a skill
Taking a perfect selfie is not a simple and common thing; it is a kind of art. Not everyone can take a perfect selfie, some special talent and skill.
When is National Selfie Day?