Last Updated on May 26, 2023
National Piña Colada Day is celebrated on July 10th annually in the United States. This special national day in July is dedicated to a delicious tropical drink with rum, coconut cream, and pineapple juice. The origins of the piña colada can be traced back to Puerto Rico, where it was first created in the 1950s. This refreshing drink is loved by all for its unique taste.
History of National Piña Colada Day
The piña colada was invented by Ramon “Monchito” Marrero in 1954 at the Caribe Hilton in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Marrero was trying to create a drink for the hotel’shotel’s Beachcomber Bar and finally devised a recipe everyone liked. The drink quickly became popular in Puerto Rico and is now enjoyed worldwide.
In 1978, the piña colada became the national drink of Puerto Rico. And in 2004, the Piña Colada Festival was started to celebrate this drink and its cultural significance. Since then, National Piña Colada Day has become an annual event celebrated in the United States. People love to sip down this refreshing drink and enjoy it with family and folks.
Related: National Rum Day
Why Celebrate National Piña Colada Day ?
The focus of this day is to celebrate the delicious piña colada cocktail. It’sIt’s a great way to get together with friends and family, have a refreshing drink, and relax in the sun. Piña coladas are a quintessential summer drink, so National Piña Colada Day is perfect for enjoying one on a hot sunny day.
How to Celebrate National Piña Colada Day?
There are many ways to celebrate National Piña Colada Day. Here are a few ideas:
- Make your piña colada: You don’tdon’t have to go to a bar to enjoy a piña colada. You can make your own at home with just a few ingredients. Try this easy recipe: Blend two oz. Of rum, three oz. of pineapple juice, and two oz. Of coconut cream, and ice until smooth. Pour into a glass and enjoy the refreshing drink!
- Host a piña colada party: On this day, host a piña colada party and have a memorable tie with friends! You can ask everyone to bring their ingredients and can compete to see who can make the best piña colada.
- Visit a tiki bar: If you don’t want to make your piña colada, you can go to a tiki bar and let the experts make one for you. Many tiki bars offer special piña colada cocktails, so be sure to try a few different variations.
Fun Facts About the Piña Colada:
- The name “piña colada” means “strained pineapple” in Spanish.
- The piña colada is the official drink of Puerto Rico.
- The song “Escape (The Piña Colada Song)” by Rupert Holmes was a hit in 1979 and helped to popularize the drink further.
- The piña colada was used as a marketing tool in the 1980s, with the slogan “The drink that made the Caribe Hilton famous.”
- The piña colada is often served in a hollowed-out pineapple as a fun and festive way to enjoy the drink.
In conclusion, National Piña Colada Day is a day to celebrate the lip-smacking piña colada. This tropical drink celebrates a unique flavor. There are many ways to celebrate this day, including making your piña colada, visiting a tiki bar, or hosting a piña colada party. So refresh yourself and enjoy the summer weather with a glass of delicious piña colada.